How can I get permanent residency in Morocco?

Many non-Moroccan nationals ask me how to get permanent residency in Morocco.

First things first: unless you are recruited by a company in Morocco to work there, you cannot get anything more permanent than a 3 month tourist visa from outside the country.

Once in Morocco, you need to exit the country and renew your tourist visa every 90 days. Depending on the vagaries of the local police station, you should be able to extend it (once, for another 3 months) or apply for residency. A residency  card (carte de séjour) is normally granted for the first time for one year. It is a bit of a paper chase (you’ll need police records from both your home country and Rabat, for example) and it has advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage is that you don’t need to leave the country every 3 months. You should look into the financial, tax, pension, inheritance, residency, etc implications for your nationality.

You can typically apply for residency under the following conditions:

  1. you own property in Morocco and can prove enough income to support yourself;
  2. you are married to a Moroccan, or
  3. you have set up a business or find employment in Morocco to support yourself.

If you have question related to this topic, please also read my post on expat life in Essaouira. If you are planning a move to Essaouira, you may also find it useful to join the Essaouira Expats and Friends Facebook group – there are lots of people there who have expat experience.

10 thoughts on “How can I get permanent residency in Morocco?

  1. Anis vohra

    I allready open company to do bussiness in casablabka now i need residencr permin for my bussiness and stay hear pl gide me r give me visa expert contac nom pl

    1. lynn Post author

      I can’t help you with a contact. If you opened a company, your accountant should know the relevant contacts in the local administrations. Otherwise, go directly to the police office responsible for foreigners.

  2. zuhaib hanfi


    I am married to moroccan, i visited morocco many times.
    Last year i applied for Carte de sejour and its about to expire on 1st august.
    I stayed for 6+ months in berrechid( Near Casablanca) but by the time the card was issued i left morocco and now i am in dubai working and trying to bring my wife to dubai.

    My card is ready and still at the police station in berrechid but expires on 1st august, can i apply for renewal for carte the sejour from consulate of morocco in dubai. ? If yes? how and what documents do i need ?

    Please help.

    1. lynn Post author

      the best place to ask for clear and up to date information on the immigration legalities for Morocco is with the Moroccan authorities. Perhaps you could address your question directly to the Consulate?

  3. bariah

    Once we apply for residency aren’t we supposed to get the receipt right away? Or does it take up to a month to just get the receipt?

    1. lynn Post author

      Normally the receipt proves you’ve paid the fee (last time I paid it, it was 100dh). So, if you have paid your fee, your receipt is proof that you have and can be used in place of your card until you get it. If you didn’t get a receipt, you’d better go back and ask about it!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *